A Tree-Hugger Forsakes his Volvo for a Big White Pickup Truck

Masculine with just a splash of the dandy

Dunhill. The name reeks of British masculine elegance and conjures up visions of expensive leather goods, smoking accessories, writing instruments, timepieces, and colognes. But a lot of people don’t know that Alfred Dunhill and his luxury goods at the turn of the century were associated with driving and fashionable gentlemen motorists.

Dunhill even coined a term -- “motorities” -- to describe the fancy automotive accessories he sold.

So you might be wondering why I'm writing about Alfred Dunhill? Well, you see, I’ve been searching for a new framework around which to organize myself -- now that I drive a truck. I need inspiration and a style guide to ensure I do it right. “Masculine with just a splash of the dandy,” is how Dunhill thought of his goods and himself. I like that...

I already splash on a little Dunhill cologne before hopping behind the wheel. And Michael presented me recently with a chocolate brown Dunhill computer case that's worth almost one-tenth the value of the truck. It's damn good looking.

So, I'm feeling kinda Dunhill and I'm wondering what other "motorities" I might find for my truck? Perhaps I could cover the dashboard in chagreen or find an old Dunhill leather trunk for the bed? The ubitiquous silver “contractor” tool boxes I see in the back of so many trucks just don’t appeal to me. A silver bulldog hood ornament maybe? Does Dunhill make mud flaps? I know Dunhill doesn't make floor mats. So instead I put down a couple of small Persian rugs. The driver's side rug looks like it has little antelopes or deer on it, which is perversely appropriate.

I think Alfred Dunhill would have approved.

2 comments:

Boomer Bill said...

Easy.

You need a dog:
http://www.unit1.com/archives/43-chezpuppy.jpg

and a gun:
http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/detail.asp?cat_id=524&type_id=045&cat=004C

Yer velcome.

Rich Barnett said...

I do like a pug or two or three. They're better in small groups. After they die, you take them to a taxidermist and, voila, your own masculine version of a Staffordshire figurine.

Followers