A Tree-Hugger Forsakes his Volvo for a Big White Pickup Truck

How Do You Define "Actively Fishing?"

I finally got my Delaware surf fishing license, which entitles me to drive the truck out onto the beach for an afternoon of surf fishing. It's actually more than a license you need. The state requires each vehicle to be equipped with a jack, a board, a spade, a rope or chain, an air pressure gauge, and, you are required to be "actively fishing."

Interestingly, the state doesn't define "actively fishing." Most people interpret it to mean that you have to use bait -- you can't just throw a hook into the ocean and forget about it.

Well, I'm not most people. On Sunday afternoon I hosted my first beach tailgate party. We brought out fancy umberellas, Adirondack chairs, a rocking chair, fresh flowers, and an oil painting of Thomas Jefferson (you know he invented the tailgate party). We served up margaritas, white wine, classic American sandwiches, potato chips, grapes, and a selection of sweets. We even threw out a line, with fresh mullet bait, of course. Now that's what I call "actively fishing."

1 comment:

Boomer Bill said...

Good one. I like your posts because they're not just all about you and I learn something. "Active fishing" is almost an oxymoron, like Dodge Ram or tight slacks.

Beat ya.

Followers