A Tree-Hugger Forsakes his Volvo for a Big White Pickup Truck

I'll take a big 'ol shot of hypocrisy with that bourbon and coke


I logged onto AOL tonight and saw a news story about the EPA proposing an overhaul of the way it calculates fuel economy for cars and trucks. Ironically, earlier today I was emailing with my younger brother Jeff about Moby's fuel efficiency.

The new EPA testing methods would result in a 10 to 20 percent drop in fuel-economy estimates in city driving, and a 5 to 15 percent decline in highway performance. The EPA says its current methods are “too optimistic.” Consumer advocate groups say the system is broken.

Now I’m all for encouraging the auto companies to make cars and trucks that are more fuel efficient and that run on alternative fuels. It’s good for the environment. The organization for which I work tries to encourage such policies. So those of you who know me must think me somewhat hypocritical when I say that I don’t care about fuel efficiency or the price of gas when it comes to my big ass truck. I just don’t…

A hypocrite is commonly thought of as someone whose actions contradict their stated or internal beliefs – or visa versa. Oscar Wilde had some thoughts about hypocrites. He said “a man who moralizes is usually a hypocrite, and a woman who moralizes is invariably plain.”

Sociologists actually categorize different kinds of hypocrites. They label someone an “Honest Hypocrite” when his or her stated beliefs contradict their actions, yet their stated beliefs are consistent with their actual internal beliefs. These kinds of hypocrites have strong convictions, but don’t always follow through.

What leads one to honest hypocrisy? The uncertainty of one’s beliefs? The difficulty level of one’s belief system? Or, carnal desires which cause one to act on what the flesh desires, rather than what one believes to be the right action?

In my case it's crystal clear. In only two short weeks this big white truck has led me astray, unleashing all sorts of animal instincts and compromising my value system. If I don’t care about fuel efficiency or gasoline prices, what do I care about?

1 comment:

Boomer Bill said...

You're not a hypocrite. You're just complicated. Consistency and integrity are boring. Save that for work.

Followers